How to set in Windows 8.1 / 10 associations for file type: open with multiple programs or apps?
To define in Windows 10, 8.1, ... that a file type is assigned to be opened with several programs or applications,
1.) Find the file type / extension assignment under Windows!
1. ►► Start the control panel as always (Windows+R command:control)
2. F3 key and enter "filetype"
3. Now simply click on "Make a file type always with a specific program"
And now just mark the ".txt" in the example and define another program to open the file, but here Microsoft has made it too easy for you!
At problems: to the point: ► ... problems with assigning the program!
| (Image-1) Assign Windows 8.1 or 10 file types to several programs or applications!
2.) Directly start the file assignment on all MS Windows!
1. Press the key combination [Windows Logo] + [R] ,
2. Then simply enter the command
control.exe /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageFileAssoc
(... see Image-2 Point 1 to 4)
Or open it go through standard programs and tap or click on the text:
"Make a file type always with a specific program"
See also: ►► Help, in Windows-8 the files are opened with the wrong program!
Info (c) Microsoft!
| (Image-2) Settings for the file associations in all Windows OS!
Use this option to additionally set the default programs based on the file type / format or a protocol. Here you can also specify that all PNG image files are opened with one program and all JPG image files with another program.
To view additional programs, if available, click or tap More Options. If no program is displayed that you want to use, you can tap or click on -Search for an app in the store- or -Search for another app on this PC- in the program list.
3.) Standard program settings as desktop shortcut!
1. If you have already ►► found the file type / extension assignment under Windows
2. Why not create a desktop shortcut using drag & drop!
(... see Image-3)
If it is that easy and you often change the standard program assignments, a desktop button is very practical!
| (Image-3) File types as a shortcut on the desktop!
4.) ... Problems with assigning the program!
If you are not offered the program, you can simply search for it on the hard drive
| (Image-5) Assign file types to programs!
If you want to choose which file types and protocols a program uses by default, tap or click choose defaults for this program. Note, if a program doesn't show up in the list, you can make the program a default by associating a file type or protocol with it.
Use this option to fine-tune default programs based on the file type or protocol. For example, you can have all jpg image files open, using one program and bmp image files open, using a different program.
FAQ 74: Updated on: 18 September 2020 17:07
Solution to define a program to open multiple file types, extensions in Windows 8, please open the "Default Programs" settings, press the key combination Windows Logo + [R , then just type the command
To format new hard drive or partition in Windows 8.1 / 10, please start the diskmgmt.msc Content / Solution / Tip: 1. The handling of new hard disks
To change the Windows 8.1 10 local date and time, please start / open the date and time properties settings Content / Tip / Solutions : 1. Changing
To disable Windows 8.1 or Win 10 auto turn off, please read this: How to disable/enable Hibernate or Sleep at Windows 8 How to prevent system
To change the Windows 8.1 / 10 indexing options, please open Indexing Options Window. Content: 1. Opening the search indexing in Windows directly
Solution to disable or enable grouping in Windows 8.1 / 10 Taskbar a easy short example Content: 1. Disable Taskbar grouping in Windows 8.1 2.
There are several ways to start Run in windows 8. Here are three methods to open the Run-Dialog in Windows 8.1/10 and Win 8.1. Content / Solutions / Tip:
»» My question is not there in the FAQ
|Asked questions on this answer:|
- Assign Windows 8.1 file type to program so that it can be opened with the correct program?
- Overview file types in windows 8 and Windows 8 associate file type?
- Windows 8.1 associate a file type?
- Change file types in Windows 8?
- Connect multiple programs to file types?
- Assign file types under Windows 8?
- How can you set a file type or protocol with a program in Windows 8 u. 8.1 connect?
- Assign files to programs Windows 8?
- Set a file in windows 8?
- File types settings windows 8?
- In Windows 8.1 and 8 file application assign to program?
- How do I set advanced file associations in Windows 8?
- Windows 8 open with file associations for Windows 8.1 image file type?
- How to Associate a file type or protocol with a program in Windows 8?
- Assign file types to Win 8?
- Where can I find the file extension of the Windows file type in Windows 8.1?
- Open with windows 8 file type?
- Open with in windows 8.1?
- Assign Windows 8 programs?
- Windows 8 file types?
- Windows 8 file type change in relation to the program assignment?
- Windows 8 open type?
- Set file associations windows 8?
- Windows 8.1 file open with options?
- Search jpg file in windows 8?
- Change file type in windows 8.1?
- File types Windows 8.1 definitions to open file extension with programs?
- Windows 8.1 file type open?
- File type application windows 8?
- Windows 8.1 assign applications?
- Windows 8.1 DDE file type?
- File type assoc setting windows 8.1?
- Set file types in win8.1?
- Associate file types in windows 8.1?
- How to set file types opening windows 8.1?
- Assign file application windows 8 and 8.1?
Keywords: windows, eight, 8.1, 10, ten, associations, file, type, open, with, multiple, programs, apps, Questions, Answers, Software