Disable AutoPlay for all users in Windows 8.1, 8 and 10! (CD, DVD, USB)
The Auto-Play feature in Windows 8.1 is quite annoying when you don't want this feature (PS: this solution is also for Windows 7, Windows 10 and Vista)!
But it can be disable for all users in Windows 8.1 or 8 or define the latter is active!
If you want to make this setting in the Windows 8.1 start it from the Windows 8.1 Run dialog [Windows Logo] + [R] gpedit.msc command and simply disable the Windows 8.1 AutoPlay. (... see Image-1 Arrow-1)
Select Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Autoplay Polices
(... see Image-1 Arrow-2)
Enable or disable the Windows 8.1 Autoplay Police: (... see Image-1 Arrow-3)
Turn off Windows-8.1 Autoplay
Prevent AutoPlay from remembering user choices.
Disallow Autoplay for non-volume devices
Set the default behavior for AutoRun
| (Image-1) Disable AutoPlay in Windows 8.1 and 8!
1.) Turn off Autoplay
This policy setting allows you to turn off the Autoplay feature in Windows 8.1.
Autoplay begins reading from a drive as soon as you insert media in the drive. As a result, the setup file of programs and the music on audio media start immediately.
Prior to Windows XP SP2, Autoplay is disabled by default on removable drives, such as the floppy disk drive (but not the CD-ROM drive), and on network drives.
Starting with Windows XP SP2, Autoplay is enabled for removable drives as well, including Zip drives and some USB mass storage devices.
If you enable this policy setting, Autoplay is disabled on CD-ROM and removable media drives in Windows 8.1, or disabled on all drives.
This policy setting disables Autoplay on additional types of drives. You cannot use this setting to enable Autoplay on drives on which it is disabled by default.
If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, AutoPlay is enabled in Windows 8.1.
Note: This policy setting appears in both the Computer Configuration and User Configuration folders. If the policy settings conflict, the policy setting in Computer Configuration takes precedence over the policy setting in User Configuration.
2.) Prevent AutoPlay from remembering user choices.
This policy setting allows you to prevent AutoPlay in Windows 8.1 from remembering user's choice of what to do when a device is connected.
If you enable this policy setting, AutoPlay prompts the user to choose what to do when a Windows 8.1 device is connected.
If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, AutoPlay remembers user's choice of what to do when a device is connected.
3.) Disallow Autoplay for non-volume devices
This policy setting disallows AutoPlay for MTP devices like cameras or phones in Windows 8.1.
If you enable this policy setting, AutoPlay is not allowed for MTP devices like cameras or phones.
If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, AutoPlay is enabled for non-volume devices.
4.) Set the default behavior for AutoRun
This policy setting sets the default behavior for Autorun commands in Windows 8.1.
Autorun commands are generally stored in autorun.inf files. They often launch the installation program or other routines.
Prior to Windows Vista, when media containing an autorun command is inserted, the system will automatically execute the program without user intervention.
This creates a major security concern as code may be executed without user's knowledge. The default behavior starting with Windows Vista is to prompt the user whether autorun command is to be run. The autorun command is represented as a handler in the Autoplay dialog.
If you enable this policy setting, an Administrator can change the default Windows Vista or later behavior for autorun to:
If you disable or not configure this policy setting, Windows Vista or later will prompt the user whether autorun command is to be run.
- Completely disable autorun commands, or
- Revert back to pre-Windows Vista behavior of automatically executing the autorun command.
FAQ 179: Updated on: January 28th 2016 20:17
| FAQ: Windows 8.1 and 8|
|174. How to find out if i have windows 8.1 or 8.0 version?|
|175. Shortcut to Restart Windows 8.1 / 10!|
|176. Change font size and font type for programs in Windows 8.1/8!|
|177. The mouse track trails in Windows 8.1 and 10, can I disable this?|
|178. Restart the MS Explorer in Windows 8.1 / 10 (Reset, Filemanager)!|
|179. Disable AutoPlay for all users in Windows 8.1, 8 and 10! (CD, DVD, USB) *** |
|180. Customize the Windows 8.1 / 8 desktop!|
|181. Activate, Customize the preview window in Explorer Windows 8.1 / 10?|
|182. Burn an ISO image to a DVD using CMD commands in Windows 8.1, 8, or 7?|
|183. Show installed updates or uninstall in Windows 8.1, 8 or 7?|
|184. Download designs, or themes for Windows 8.1, 7, or 8!|
»» Windows-8 FAQ-INDEX
»» My question is not there in the FAQ
|Asked questions on this answer:|
- Disable autorun AND windows 8.1?
- How to disable autorun on cd in Win 8.1?
- How to enable autorun in windows 8.1?
- Autoplay dvd-rom games windows 7?
- Disable autoplay/autorun from autorun.inf windows 2012?
- Removable components win 8.1?
- Turn off autoplay windows 8.1?
- How to stop autoplay windows 8?
- Windows 8.1 autorun iso?
- Mount an image to autorun an iso like a disc in windows 8.1?
- How to disable usb autorun in windows 8?
- How to cancel autoplay of usb in windows 8.1?
- How to stop cd playback om windows 8.1?
- Turn off autoplay win 8.1?
- How do i set cd autoplay 8.1?
- Turn of usb w8.1 with group policy?
- Autoplay windows 8.1?
- CD Autostart Win 8.1???
- Autorun file for windows 8.1 dvd?
- Samsung windows 8 autoplay not working?
- DVD player not enable in windows 8.1?
- How to disable Autoplay using Cmd in win 8?
- Disable autoplay windows 7 all users?
- Windows 8.1 autoplay?
- Disable usb autorun windows 8.1?
- Disable cd/dvd autorun windows 8.1?
- WIN8.1 TURN OFF AUTOPLAY?
- Autorun disable win 8.1?
- Fix autoplay windows 8?
- Disable autorun windows 8.1?
- Dvd will not auto run windoes 8.1?
- Windows 8.1 mount iso no autorun?
- Disable auto run for single USB device on Windows 8.1?
- Uninstalling autoplay of window 8.1?
- How to make usb autorun for windows 8 download?
- Cd auto play settings Windows 8.1?
- Autorun windows 8.1?
- Disable autoplay for all users?
- How to nenable autoplay in windws 8.1?
- Remove auto run in windows 8.1?
- Auto run disable in windows 8.1?
- Stopping autorun win 8.1?
- Autoplay does not work windows 8.1?
- Disabling usb auto execute in windows8.1?
- Windows 8 disable autorun on cd?
- Windows 7 disable autoplay for all users ?
- How to enable autoplay in windows 8.1?
- Windows 8.1 usb autoplay non funziona?
- Turn off autoplay windows 8.1 group policy?
- How to turn off usb autoplay in windows xp?
- How to stop autoplay of usb removable disk win 8.1?
- Autoplay is enabled but not working cd disc in windows 8.1?
- How to disable autorun in windows 8.1?
- How to deactivate direct open usb in windows 8?
- Windows 8.1 disable auto play all users?
- Autoplay does not work windows 8.1 fix it?
- How to disable direct open of pen drives in windows 8.1?
- How to use autorun pen drive in win 8.1?
- Windows 10 technical preview non funziona cd rom?
- Enable autoplay windows 8.1 setup exe download?
Keywords: windows, eight, 8.1, disable, autoplay, users, CD, DVD, USB, Questions, Answers, Software